In our world today, the internet is used for a multitude of things, including criminal activity. One of the criminal activities that the internet is used for is prostitution. If you arrange a time and place to meet someone after you have seen a post online offering sex, there is a chance that you can be charged with solicitation, regardless if you actually engage in any type of sexual activities.
In many cases, the fact that you showed up to the address at the suggested time is more than enough for you to be arrested and eventually charged with solicitation for prostitution. One of the most serious offenses that you can face is a sex crime charge. If you have been convicted of a sex crime charge, this can seriously hurt your career, your reputation, and the quality of life you have become accustomed to. This is why it is so important that you connect with an experienced defense attorney who can protect your future.
Soliciting: What Does This Mean?
In California, solicitation for prostitution involves two individuals making an arrangement or agreement to exchange money (or other goods) for sexual favors or sexual acts. While there may not be a crystal-clear agreement in place, the actions of the individuals can be enough to signify the agreement.
If you are convicted of solicitation for prostitution, what consequences can you face?
- A period of probation that can last 3 years
- Payment of fines and court fees
- A jail sentence
Solicitation for Prostitution Defense
You may reach a point where you feel like there will be no way to defend your case, but this is why you should contact an experienced defense lawyer who will be able to review your case and the charges that have been brought against you. You may not be aware of the different strategies that can be used to protect your life and your name.
In many cases, there are defenses that can be used, including the following:
- Entrapment: Occurs when an undercover police officer persuades someone to commit the crime they likely would not have done if it were not for the police officer's actions
- No intent: If you were not aware that the person you connected with online was offering sexual favors in return for money, this can be a defense that can be used to fight the charge and clear your name
- The agreement was not for sexual favors: If you were simply meeting with someone to exchange money for goods that are legal, this defense can be used in your favor. An agreement that offers compensation in exchange for a product or service does not always involve sexual favors.
If you have been accused of solicitation for prostitution, you should take this very seriously and contact an experienced and skillful defense attorney today. At the Law Office of Nicolai Cocis, we understand that good people sometimes make bad decisions. Since 1999, we have represented many individuals who were arrested for solicitation for prostitution, and many other types of sex-crimes arising from Temecula, Menifee, Murrieta, Wildomar, Lake Elsinore, Hemet and Perris.