While California law permits most adults to possess and own a handgun or other types of firearms, there are penalties for those who are in violation of our state's gun laws; those penalties may involve fines and jail time as punishment. The Law Office of Nicolai Cocis understands that the gun possession laws can be confusing, and that is why we are here to decipher them for you so that you understand the full extent of your rights.
We can clear up any misunderstandings so that you know why you might have been charged with illegal firearm or ammunition possession. Be sure to call a Temecula criminal defense attorney at (951) 666-2605 to request a free consultation.
Who Can Legally Purchase a Firearm?
The laws regarding who may possess a permit to carry a firearm are contained in Penal Code 26150 and 26155 PC, which allows certain individuals the right to carry a concealed firearm. The person must have demonstrated attributes that include being of good moral character, good cause for being issued the license, verify residence in the city where they are purchasing the firearm, and completion of firearms training.
- Some examples of individuals who are barred from owning, possessing or purchasing firearms:
- Those addicted to narcotics
- Those under the age of 18
- Those who are suffering from mental illness
- Those convicted of any type of felony in the past or a violent crime
- Those who have been dishonorably discharged from the military
- Those who are not legal residents of the United States
- Those who have been convicted twice or more times of brandishing a weapon
As a Temecula criminal defense lawyer, Nicolai Cocis knows that there is a wide breadth of laws regarding firearm possession. For example, for those who are permitted to carry a concealed weapon can only transport a handgun in their car, unloaded and in a sealed container. In another example, a rifle or some other weapon that cannot be concealed, must be always be unloaded if transporting the weapon.
Speak with a Knowledgeable Temecula Lawyer
Because the laws can be far-reaching, we are prepared to walk you through all of the steps as necessary. The Law Office of Nicolai Cocis has achieved a significant track record of victories and successes. We can educate you on the laws and build a worthy defense to ensure that your rights are protected.
How Can We Help?
If you have been arrested or charged with illegal possession of a firearm in Temecula, Murrieta, Menifee, Wildomar, Lake Elsinore, Hemet, Banning, Perris, Corona or Riverside, the first step is to contact an experienced and effective criminal defense attorney. We are ready to help. Since 1999, our office has successfully represented numerous individuals facing various types of firearm charges.
We understand that besides the possible loss of your freedom, a conviction for such a charge can also have serious consequences for future employment opportunities. Don't jeopardize your future by hiring an inexperienced attorney because in the end, you will get what you paid for.
Please contact our firm today to request your free case review.
See How We Have Helped Other People in Your Shoes
- Probation and One Year in Custody Theft and 7 Felonies
- Probation & House Arrest
- Avoided Lengthy Jail Sentence 3rd DUI While on Probation for 2nd DUI
- Reduced to Infraction and Misdemeanor 4 Felony Insurance Fraud Charges
- In-custody rehab. Avoided years of prison time. 4th-time DUI While On Probation for 2nd and 3rd-time DUI
- No Charges Filed Arrest for Threats to Police