Are you the victim of a crime? Have you suffered financial harm as a result of the offender's actions? If so, you are entitled to collect restitution for your losses. The good news is that you do not have to face the system alone: we can help! Since 1999, we have been very successful in representing both criminal defendants and victims of crimes in countless restitution calculations and court hearings.
Call the Law Office of Nicolai Cocis at (951) 666-2605 to discuss your circumstance.
What Is Restitution?
Restitution is the financial compensation that is owed by the defendant to the victim of the crime. According to the Victim's Bill of Rights found in Article 28 and Penal Code 1202.4:
"All persons who suffer losses as a result of criminal activity shall have the right to seek and secure restitution from the persons convicted of the crimes causing the losses they suffer."
"Restitution shall be ordered from the convicted wrongdoer in every case, regardless of the sentence or disposition imposed, in which a crime victim suffers a loss."
What Losses Are Covered?
As part of a defendant's sentencing, the Court must order that the victim of the crime be reimbursed for:
- Property loss – stolen or damaged property (even if reimbursed by the victim's own insurance)
- Medical and dental expenses (even if covered by the victim's own insurance)
- Mental health counseling for victims of molestation or sex related offenses
- Funeral expenses
- Wage and income loss as a result of the crime and having to attending court hearings
- Relocation expenses
- Home or vehicle modifications
- Security system expenses
- Interest at a current annual rate of 10%
- Attorney fees for assistance in collecting the restitution amount
- Possible future losses (medical and mental, loss of wages)
How Long Does a Defendant Have to Pay Restitution?
A restitution order imposed by the Court never expires. The defendant is responsible for the amount until it is paid. Additionally, the restitution order cannot be discharged in bankruptcy court.
How Can We Help?
You have no time to lose in your case—call on the Law Office of Nicolai Cocis today for trusted representation. We go above and beyond to give your case the attentiveness it deserves, listening to all of your concerns and providing effective legal solutions. Don't face your legal system alone!
If you or a loved one are the victim of any of the following crimes, our team is here to protect you from deep financial consequences and advocate on your behalf:
- Assault and Battery
- Assault with a Deadly Weapon
- Domestic Violence
- Child Molestation
- DUI with accident
- Vehicular Manslaughter
- Child Abuse
- Grand Theft
- Criminal Threats
Since 1999, we have helped hundreds of people by providing a superior legal defense. We have in-depth knowledge of the local laws, prosecutors and judges who work out of the Southwest Justice Center.
Our office is located in Murrieta, California, and we have helped criminal defendants as well as victims of crime from the surrounding cities of Temecula, Hemet, Menifee, Murrieta, Banning, Lake Elsinore, Perris, Wildomar, Corona, and Riverside.
Don't wait! Schedule your free consultation by calling our firm today.
See How We Have Helped Other People in Your Shoes
- Probation and One Year in Custody Theft and 7 Felonies
- Probation & House Arrest
- Avoided Lengthy Jail Sentence 3rd DUI While on Probation for 2nd DUI
- Reduced to Infraction and Misdemeanor 4 Felony Insurance Fraud Charges
- In-custody rehab. Avoided years of prison time. 4th-time DUI While On Probation for 2nd and 3rd-time DUI
- No Charges Filed Arrest for Threats to Police