In the state of California, it is a criminal offense to operate a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. The most common way of determining intoxication is checking the blood alcohol content (BAC) of the defendant; however, that is not the only way.
Per California Vehicle Code 23152, someone with 0.08 percent of more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood is guilty of drunken driving—but even if someone has less than 0.08 percent, it does not meant that they are in the clear. There are other ways that impairment can be confirmed; for example, alleging that the defendant failed the Standardized Field Sobriety Test.
Penalties for a First Time DUI Charge
If you have been criminally charged with your first DUI, it is expected for you to have a lot of concerns. One of the most prevalent concern is the penalties that you are facing.
- Under California Vehicle Code §23536, a conviction for the first time of driving under the influence is punishable with the following:
- Probation for 3 - 5 years
- County jail between 96 hours and 6 months.
- 48 hours must be continuous.
- Fine between $2800.
- Attend a 4 or 9-month long alcohol or drug treatment program
On top of this, you also run the risk of having your license suspended for six months.
Contact a Temecula DUI defense lawyer today!
As you can see, even if it is your first time dealing with a DUI charge, you need to act fast to protect your legal rights. At the Law Office of Nicolai Cocis, we recognize the steps to take to defend against drunken driving charges—we know the defenses that we can advance on your behalf. With over 15 years of experience, you can trust in our firm.
Call us today to schedule your free consultation.
See How We Have Helped Other People in Your Shoes
- Probation and One Year in Custody Theft and 7 Felonies
- Probation & House Arrest
- Avoided Lengthy Jail Sentence 3rd DUI While on Probation for 2nd DUI
- Reduced to Infraction and Misdemeanor 4 Felony Insurance Fraud Charges
- In-custody rehab. Avoided years of prison time. 4th-time DUI While On Probation for 2nd and 3rd-time DUI
- No Charges Filed Arrest for Threats to Police