Being accused of a hit and run accident can be a scary experience. After all, according to California Vehicle Codes 20001 and 20002, fleeing the scene of a crash that involves injury to a person or property could land you in jail and result in some pretty hefty fines. What steps should you take, though, to ensure that you are never charged with a hit and run?
- Never drive drunk or otherwise high or impaired. Not only are you more likely to cause a crash, but your judgment will likely be affected, potentially causing you to think that fleeing the crash is a better idea than sticking around to face the consequences.
- After a crash, pull off to the side of the road, access the damage to property and people, and exchange contact information. Even if you did not cause the crash, you can be charged with a hit and run if you do not exchange your contact information.
- If you do need to leave the scene before you have exchanged contact information, such to seek immediate medical attention, let the police or other emergency personnel know right away.
- If you hit a parked car, and you cannot find the vehicle's owner, write down your contact information, and leave it for the person. Generally, placing your contact information on a piece of paper placed under the windshield wiper works well.
- After hitting a parked car, you may also want to contact the police to report the accident. They can let you know what information they need and steps to take next. This gives you a little extra security, especially if you are concerned that the driver may not get your contact information because of rain, wind, or other conditions.
Unfortunately, accidents happen, and sometimes people make bad decisions after a vehicle crash. If you have been arrested and charged with hit and run in Temecula, Menifee, Murrieta, Wildomar, Lake Elsinore, Hemet, Perris, Corona or any other surrounding Riverside County city, it's important that you obtain the best representation from an effective and experienced criminal defense attorney. Contact us immediately to schedule a free consultation.